EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT TEACHER
Early Childhood Development Teacher
The Westview School seeks an inspiring early childhood teacher who is responsible for teaching our youngest students. The teacher will utilize the STAR Program (Strategies for Teaching based on Autism Research) to help students grow in their development of expressive, receptive, and spontaneous language, functional routines, pre-academics, play, and social skills.
- Minimum BA in Education, required
- Valid Texas teacher Certification, required
- Special Education Certification, preferred
- Prior experience working with children with special needs, preferred
- Dynamic educator with a willingness to innovate and inspire
- A proven ability to differentiate and work with students at all skill levels
- A positive attitude and is committed to collaborating with others
- An ability to communicate well orally and in writing with students, staff, and families
- Excellent organizational skills
- Plan and deliver high-quality, engaging instruction to help students grow socially, emotionally, and academically
- Differentiate lessons as needed to give all students access to the curriculum regardless of instructional level or interest in the subject.
- Evaluate student performance on tasks established by the standards, using different formal and informal methods such as observation and/or performance-based tasks
- Maintain a safe, orderly, and supportive classroom by modeling expected behavior and standards, promoting positive interactions, and quickly addressing behaviors that are not in line with classroom behavioral expectations
- Communicate with parents regarding student progress, potential, and behavior periodically through phone or electronic means as well as at parent and teacher conferences.
- Work collaboratively to achieve the mission of the school
- Maintain care/responsibility for school-owned equipment and materials to prevent loss or abuse
- Participate in staff development training to improve level of skills in working with students with autism
- Act as an ambassador for the school by attending school-wide events and supporting the school community outside of the classroom.
- Participate in extracurricular activities to show school support (Autism Walk, Family Fun Day, etc.)
- Meet regular and predictable attendance requirements, including attending team meetings, staff meetings, and professional development.
The Westview School is the premier school for children with autism in the greater Houston area. The mission of The Westview School is to provide a unique, specialized learning environment offering outstanding educational and social opportunities for children on the autism spectrum.
The vision of The Westview School is to create options and opportunities for children with autism spectrum disorder.
The Westview School believes that children with autism spectrum disorder can grow and learn through a nurturing, positive, and happy environment that enhances their self-esteem.
To apply, send resume and letter of interest electronically to Candi Pettit at firstname.lastname@example.org.