Music Teacher EC – Grade 8
The Westview School seeks an inspiring music teacher who is responsible for teaching music education to students in Early Childhood through 8th grade. The teacher will help students grow in their enjoyment, appreciation, and performance of music through a variety of planned musical experiences including singing, moving to music, and playing of instruments.
-Minimum BA in Music or Music Education, required
- Valid Texas teacher Certification, required
- Special Education Certification, preferred
- Prior experience working with children with special needs, preferred
- Dynamic educator with a willingness to innovate and inspire
- Has a love for singing and is excited at the opportunity of leading school singing performances
- A desire to promote a life-long love of music across the entire school community
- A proven ability to differentiate and work with musicians at all skill levels
- Instrumental skills, including the ability to play at least one instrument proficiently
- A positive attitude and is committed to collaborating with others
- An ability to communicate well orally and in writing with students, staff, and families
- Ability to integrate music learning into other subject areas to support learning across the curriculum
- Excellent organizational skills
- Teaches general music to EC – 8th grade including harmony, appreciation, history, and ensemble
- Utilizes a repertoire of all types of music literature, including traditional and contemporary that are appropriate for the age and skill levels of students
- Provides opportunities for music ensembles and performances
- Plans, rehearses, and directs students in a music program for the school and community
- Differentiates music curriculum to meet the needs of the individual students and the student body
- Plans a balanced music program and organizes class time so that preparation, rehearsal, and instruction can be accomplished within the allotted time
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior to provide an orderly, productive environment during practice, group rehearsals, and music performances
- Evaluates each student’s musical growth and contribution to the performance of the group that allows everyone to contribute
- Communicates clearly with parents and school staff on the progress of individual students
- Maintains care/responsibility for school-owned music, musical instruments, and equipment to prevent loss or abuse
- Participate in in-service training to improve level of skills in working with students with disabilities
- Participate in extracurricular activities to show school support (Autism Walk, Middle School Social, Lock-Ins, Family Fun Day, etc.)
- Cooperation with staff, principals, and the Head of School in providing musical programs for school assemblies, open house, parent meetings, and seasonal programs
The Westview School is the premier, private, non-profit school for children with autism spectrum disorder from ages 2 to 15 years in the greater Houston area. Westview’s challenging, well-rounded curriculum includes a full range of academic programs and a strong emphasis on social communication and social skills. In addition, we offer opportunities to pursue the arts, extra-curricular activities, and real-world experiences. The enhancement of self-esteem and the development of appropriate behavior allow our students to become successful members of the community.
The mission of The Westview School is to provide a unique, specialized learning environment offering outstanding educational and social opportunities for children on the autism spectrum.
The vision of The Westview School is to create options and opportunities for children with autism spectrum disorder.
The Westview School believes that children with autism spectrum disorder can grow and learn through a nurturing, positive, and happy environment that enhances their self-esteem.