Science and Technology Teacher
Science and Technology Teacher
Grades K - 5
The Westview School seeks an inspiring science teacher who is responsible for teaching science to students in Kindergarten through 2nd grade. The teacher will also teach technology to students in 1st through 5th grade. The ideal candidate will display a passion for science, a gift for inspiring young minds, and the ability to develop engaging and innovative lessons that allow our students to grow academically, socially, and emotionally.
- Minimum BA in Science or Education, required
-Valid Texas Teacher Certification, required
- Special Education Certification, preferred
-Prior experience working with children with special needs, preferred
- Dynamic educator with a willingness to innovate and inspire
- A desire to promote a life-long love of learning and the development of critical thinking skills
- A proven ability to differentiate and work with students at multiple academic skill levels
- A positive attitude and is committed to collaborating with others
- An ability to communicate well orally and in writing with students, staff, and families
- Ability to integrate technology learning into other subject areas to support its implementation across the curriculum
- Excellent organizational skills
- Create daily lesson plans and inquiry-based, hands on learning activities for students based on Next Generation Science Standards
- Deliver high-quality, engaging instruction in the form of student inquiry, discussion, direct teaching, demonstrations, and independent practice
- Differentiate lessons when needed to give all students access to the curriculum regardless of instructional level or interest in the subject.
- Evaluate student performance on tasks established by the standards using different methods such as observation, performance-based tasks, or alternative assessment techniques
- Maintain a safe, orderly and supportive classroom by modeling expected behavior and standards, promoting positive interactions and quickly addressing behaviors that are not in line with classroom behavioral expectations
- Communicate with parents regarding student progress, potential and behavior periodically through phone or electronic means and at parent and teacher
- Communicates clearly with parents and school staff on the progress of individual students
- Maintains care/responsibility for school-owned equipment and materials to prevent loss or abuse
- Participate in in-service training to improve level of skills in working with students with autism
- Participate in extracurricular activities to show school support (Autism Walk, Family Fun Day, etc.)
- Cooperation with staff, principals, and the Head of School in providing musical programs for school assemblies, open house, parent meetings, and seasonal programs
The Westview School is the premier, private, non-profit school for children with autism spectrum disorder from ages 2 to 15 years in the greater Houston area. Westview’s challenging, well-rounded curriculum includes a full range of academic programs and a strong emphasis on social communication and social skills. In addition, we offer opportunities to pursue the arts, extra-curricular activities, and real-world experiences. The enhancement of self-esteem and the development of appropriate behavior allow our students to become successful members of the community.
The mission of The Westview School is to provide a unique, specialized learning environment offering outstanding educational and social opportunities for children on the autism spectrum.
The vision of The Westview School is to create options and opportunities for children with autism spectrum disorder.
The Westview School believes that children with autism spectrum disorder can grow and learn through a nurturing, positive, and happy environment that enhances their self-esteem.
To apply, send resume and letter of interest electronically to Candi Pettit at email@example.com.