To assist the classroom teacher in providing a safe, enriching learning experience for high-functioning children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- High School Diploma required; Associate’s Degree preferred
- Previous experience working with children with special needs preferred
- Ability to perform physical activities such as bending, lifting, sitting on the floor
- General knowledge of subjects assigned
- Proficient computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, etc)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work collaboratively with administration and staff
- Provide assistance to students under the direction of the classroom teacher
- Follow the teacher’s lead in how to interact with students
- Supervise students individually and in small groups in learning activities with teacher directions
- Implement class rules, consequences, and student behavior plans throughout the school setting
- Assist in preparation of classroom activities
- Assist in transition of students outside of classroom (bathroom breaks, lunch time, ancillary, assemblies, etc)
- Accompany students to playground and actively assist in overseeing play activity, interaction with other children and encouragement of social skills
- Assist students in self-care (cleaning, hand washing, bathroom needs, maintaining health and well-being, including taking temperature, administering first-aid)
- Participate in in-service training in order to improve level of skills in working with students with disabilities
- Maintain confidentiality
- Maintain a professional appearance
- Participate in all required staff and team meetings
- Participate in extracurricular activities to show school support
- Comply with all procedures and policies as outlined in personnel handbook
- Perform other duties as assigned by the classroom teacher, Principal and/or Head of School
- Report to the classroom teacher, Principal and/or Head of School
The Westview School is the premier, private, non-profit school for children with autism spectrum disorder from ages 2 to 15 years in the greater Houston area. Westview’s challenging, well-rounded curriculum includes a full range of academic programs and a strong emphasis on social communication and social skills. In addition, we offer opportunities to pursue the arts, extra-curricular activities, and real-world experiences. The enhancement of self-esteem and the development of appropriate behavior allow our students to become successful members of the community.
The mission of The Westview School is to provide a unique, specialized learning environment offering outstanding educational and social opportunities for children on the autism spectrum.
The vision of The Westview School is to create options and opportunities for children with autism spectrum disorder.
The Westview School believes that children with autism spectrum disorder can grow and learn through a nurturing, positive, and happy environment that enhances their self-esteem.