To prepare and implement an effective instructional program in a learning environment that encourages students with high-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder to reach their full potential.
- Valid Texas Teacher Certification required
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Special Education certification preferred
- Previous experience working with children with special needs, preferred
- General knowledge of subjects assigned
- General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Proficient computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, etc)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Develop and implement differentiated instruction according to student needs
- Participate in curriculum development at various team levels
- Maintain an organized and effective classroom environment conducive to the learning styles of students
- Work collaboratively with administration, team members and parents to provide each student with academic and behavioral support
- Create lesson plans to show academic goals and objectives
- Record all grades in a timely manner
- Assist in development and implementation of behavior plans, when needed
- Administer assessment and utilize results to facilitate classroom planning
- Communicate with parents to provide ongoing information of classroom activities and student performance
- Provide direction to teacher assistant to insure effective academic atmosphere
- Participate in in-service training in order to improve level of skills in working with students with disabilities
- Maintain confidentiality
- Maintain a professional appearance
- Participate in all required staff and team meetings
- Participate in extracurricular activities to show school support (Autism Walk, Middle School Social, Lock-Ins, Family Fun Day, etc)
- Comply with all procedures and policies as outlined in personnel handbook
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Principal and/or Head of School
- Report to the Principal and/or Head of School
The Westview School is the premier, private, non-profit school for children with autism spectrum disorder from ages 2 to 15 years in the greater Houston area. Westview’s challenging, well-rounded curriculum includes a full range of academic programs and a strong emphasis on social communication and social skills. In addition, we offer opportunities to pursue the arts, extra-curricular activities, and real-world experiences. The enhancement of self-esteem and the development of appropriate behavior allow our students to become successful members of the community.
The mission of The Westview School is to provide a unique, specialized learning environment offering outstanding educational and social opportunities for children on the autism spectrum.
The vision of The Westview School is to create options and opportunities for children with autism spectrum disorder.
The Westview School believes that children with autism spectrum disorder can grow and learn through a nurturing, positive, and happy environment that enhances their self-esteem.