Finding the right school for your child can be a daunting task. Many families feel "lost" and wonder if The Westview School will be the right fit.
The answer? Westview may or may not be the right school for your child - but it is our mission to guide you along the way and help you find the school where your child can receive the best education and support, even if it is not with us. Our admissions team and therapists will do everything in their power to help you find a school that your entire family will love.
The Westview School is unique in that it is the only school in Houston and one of a handful of schools in the world that is specifically designed for high-functioning children with autism spectrum disorder. We are often asked, "How do you define 'high-functioning?'" While there is no specific medical definition for the term "high-functioning," we describe our students as those who have average to above-average intelligence, but struggle with social skills and social communication. Because Westview is a school first, the ability to participate and make progess is a mainstream academic curriculum is important. We typically refer children with severe emotional and behavioral issues to programs with more therapeutic environments.
Westview believes that children with autism spectrum disorder can grow and learn through a nurturing, positive and happy environment that enhances their self-esteem. We believe that our children learn best when:
- they receive early intervention.
- student-to-teacher ratios are low.
- their days are carefully planned, predictable and highly structured.
- instructions and reinforcement are clear and consistent.
- the class environment is orderly and distractions are kept to a minimum.
- they are grouped with others with similar academic and organizational abilities.
- they are challenged with high expectations.
- goals are reasonable and achievable.
- they are taught as individuals based on their unique strengths.
- they are treated with respect.
- there is a collaborative effort among teachers, parents and therapists.
- they are taught to believe they are capable.
- sensory needs and challenges are recognized and addressed.
We welcome you to schedule a tour of the school to see firsthand how The Westview School is making a difference in the lives of its students. To schedule a tour, please call Becky Mattis, Admissions Director, at 713-973-1900 x 200.