The Westview School seeks a motivated instructional assistant to work under the supervision of a certified teacher to provide instructional support to students with autism spectrum disorder. This individual will support students’ learning and development by applying teaching and learning strategies.
- High school diploma required; Associate degree preferred
- Previous experience working with children with special needs preferred
- Support the educational experiences of students with autism.
- Reinforce lessons by reviewing material one-on-one and in small groups with students.
- Support learning by implementing instructional strategies such as scaffolding, modeling, prompting, checking for understanding, and questioning.
- Provide opportunities for students to engage in and practice communication and social language skills.
- Serve as a guide in instructing students on proper classroom behavior.
- Support behavior by implementing proactive techniques (e.g., Nurtured Heart, Responsive Classrooms).
- Supervise students during lunch, restroom breaks, and ancillary classes, as well as in between classes or on field trips.
- Supervise students on the playground by being actively involved with them (e.g., overseeing play, ensuring students are involved with each other).
- Assist students who need additional help learning a specific concept.
- Assist the teacher in preparing instructional materials and gathering resources.
- Help maintain a neat and orderly classroom.
- Help the teacher to keep administrative records and prepare required reports.
- Lead class instruction when the teacher is absent.
- Provide orientation and assistance to substitute teachers.
- Keep the teacher informed of special needs or problems of individual students.
- Participate in staff development programs to support student learning.
- Participate in faculty meetings and special events as assigned.
- Follow the teacher’s directives.
The Westview School is the premier school for children with autism in the greater Houston area. The mission of The Westview School is to provide a unique, specialized, and nurturing learning environment offering outstanding educational and social opportunities for children on the autism spectrum.
The vision of The Westview School is to provide a learning environment that is sensitive to the social, emotional, and academic needs of children with autism to ensure that they have opportunities to reach their full potential.
The Westview School believes that when children with autism are educated in a nurturing and supportive environment, they learn, grow, and develop a strong sense of self and an appreciation for others.
To apply, send resume and letter of interest electronically to Candi Pettit at firstname.lastname@example.org.